Friday, August 29, 2008

AK, DS and VP

I wasn't going to post about this but after reading some posts on a forum I belong to I thought I would put in my 2 cents too : )

I awoke this morning to a message on my answering machine from my wonderful sister-in-law Tami. She was saying that she was so excited because it had been announced that Sarah Palin is John McCain's running mate, that now FINALLY Down syndrome would be in the news, people would be educated about Ds, and maybe we would receive some extra funding. I have to admit I was a excited too!!!

For those of you who don't know, Sarah Palin is currently the Governor of Alaska (which is my home state) and has a baby boy with Down syndrome. We turned on Headline News and I was half expecting there to be a story about Down syndrome (wishful thinking I know.) or at the very minimum a picture or some mention of her baby boy. There was not. I have to say that I didn't watch for too terribly long so there could have been earlier or later in the day.

Anyhow, back to my 2 cents!!! I would have to consider myself a liberal conservative, or a conservative liberal I don't automatically vote for either side. So my opinion has nothing to do with being a republican or not, and I will not vote republican just because the potential VP has a kid with Down syndrome. My issue is this, on the forum there was talk of her being a bad mom because she went back to work so soon and now is running for Vice President. One post I read said "obviously she is not nursing her baby." REALLY???? (I won't get into to the whole nursing debate, I nursed Hunter for 13 months and did not nurse Ella. Nuff said.)
Are people who do not know Sarah Palin judging her???? Isn't that what we as parents of children with disabilities strive to get the general public to stop doing to our children???? Do NOT assume that she is not a good parent and does not care about her baby because she is working. We do not know her, do not judge her.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow, what a great post!

Jennifer said...

Did you get this weeks People? Someone wrote them and blasted them for giving Tropic Thunder 3 out of 4 stars. The writer said she had a child with DS and wanted the publics conception of people with disabilities to not be tainted by stupid movies. I half expected the author to be you! ha ha

Shannon said...

I thought of you as soon as I heard the VP pick yesterday. I'm not sure what McCain's motives were in choosing her (I know what it LOOKS like), but so far, I really like her. I think she's a positive addition to the ticket! Here's hoping for increased awareness in our nation about children with disabilities, too...!

Kim said...

I absolutely agree with everything you said. I couldn't of said it any better! I'm really not on any political side because honestly can we believe what any of them say? I'm just excited that maybe DS will get some positive awareness!

Jennie said...

Kacey - Thanks for sharing. I haven't gone to the forums to discuss because I don't want to get involved in heated discussions. So far, unfortunately, most of the news coverage I have seen has included phrases such as "a Down syndrome baby" and "a Downs baby." But maybe, eventually, she'll be able to use her position as an advocate (and maybe get the Kennedy-Brownback legislation back on the table, since she DID receive a prenatal diagnosis and might care that others receive accurate information when given the same diagnosis).

Tracy said...

Kacey,

I actually read an article last night that said when she went back to work she took her nursing baby with her. People assume way too much.

Miss you guys,
Tracy

Anonymous said...

HOORAY!!! I was so excited to hear of the VP nom! I dont know what I would classify myself as these days as far as Dem or Rep, but I was thrilled to hear of her being put on the ticket. I think it will definitely put a spotlight on DS. No doubt there will be positive and negatives about it, but as long as people are talking I think it is a step in the right direction to open up peoples hearts and minds. I dont understand why some people think she "obviously must not be nursing" just because she is back at work. She probably had some flexibility that other working mothers arent as fortunate to have in scheduling herself to where she could pump or nurse if she wanted, considering her position as being the boss! Now that she is campaigning it will probably even be more convenient for her to continue to nurse her baby if she wants. And just think if she does get into office how historic that would be--not only a woman in office but a "somebody" that could open up all sorts of avenues for children with disabilities. Love, Aunt Tami