Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Will it ever end?

So, if you are part of the blogging community or belong to a Down syndrome forum you already know what I am going to say. I am writing this for my friends and family or anyone else who hasn't heard about the movie Tropic Thunder. I'm not going to go into details of the movie, all I know is that in this movie the word RETARD is said several times. There are even t-shirts being made that say "Full Retard" which is apparently a line from the movie.

Let me just tell you that I hate the word retard. I hate to think of it in the slang form and I hate to think of it in the medical form. Technically my Ella Grace is mentally retarded. Tears come to my eyes even typing those words. My daughter works hard for every little thing she does. So hard. Things that you and I take for granted or that "typical" kids instinctually know how to do she has to be taught and has to fight her own body and mind to learn it. Why is that funny?

I don't even know what else to say. There are many groups and individuals calling for a boycott of this movie, I too am asking everyone to not go see Tropic Thunder. It is not funny. Please do not laugh at the expense of my sweet, smart, beautiful baby girl.

7 comments:

Chris said...

I posted about this movie too. Thank you for saying some of the things I didn't. My son has Down syndrome and is technically mentally retarded too, and yes, that still hurts my heart too. What is more hurtful is that the world that we live in just doesn't seem to care.

Shannon said...

I also cringe at the word and at how carelessly people sling it around without thinking about it. I'm glad you posted this...because people NEED to think about it. It isn't funny, and (contrary to the way people use it), it actually points out their OWN mental limitations. I love you, Kacey!
Hugs from a distance...

Kristen said...

Never, I WILL NEVER GO SEE IT!! I would probably cry every time I heard that word in it. Our kids may not have the same chromosomal defect but in the broader range of things we are in the same world of raising a child with handicaps. We know with Cayman's brain injury she will be compromised but we just don't know how mild or severe it will be. Mike and I too have grown a disgust for the word "retard" especially spoken slang. It's one word we no longer say and are trying to help our families remember not to say it. It's always spoken as a negative put-down name-calling word. Perhaps the word used medically wouldn't be so painful to hear if it did not have a slang meaning.

kecia said...

I just posted on my blog about the misuse of this word too but I didn't have any idea about this movie or these shirts-it's awful! Thanks for sharing-I will pass on the info via my blog!

Anonymous said...

I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT SEE THIS MOVIE AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I KNOW TO NOT SEE IT AS WELL!!! I cant believe what some people find "funny"! I don't understand why movie producers and people who financially back these movies support these ideas and plot lines! They wont be getting any of my money though! It is awful that people have the chance to send positive messages to such a huge audience and deliberately choose to use such derrogatory words. We will spread the word--we love you all lots and miss you guys bunches--LOVE,LOVE,LOVE, Aunt Tami and family

Anonymous said...

The medical community does not use this term unless they have lived under a rock the last 20 years. The term used now is either developmentally delayed or cognitively delayed. It is amazing what movie producers try to "sell" to the public!! I definitely will not be seeing that movie and will pass it along to all my friends to boycott it! Thanks for the heads-up!

Betsy Yates said...

Hi Kacey,

I've been following your blog since June.

Your post today inspired my own.

You have a beautiful family!