Monday, August 4, 2008

My Little Beauty Part 2

My mom was talking to some people last week, and told them that they had just moved down here from Alaska. Of course, everyone always asks "Why?" So, the story of Ella comes out. How we had always planned on moving back to Fairbanks, Alaska when Chris got out of the Air Force, then Ella was born. Fairbanks is a small town, great but small, and therefore doesn't have a whole lot of services. Ella probably would have done good there as a small child but really once she got older there would just not be very many opportunities for her, not to mention not many people like her. After a lot of research we settled on Spokane. Anyhow the point of this story, when these people found out that Ella has Down syndrome their immediate response is "I'm sorry." It's sad. I'm not saying anything bad about these people, they were older, and obviously do not know a whole lot about Ds. My mom told them that we are not sorry that Ella has Down syndrome, and we really are not!
I'm sure no one wishes to have a baby with Ds, in fact I was completely devastated when she was born. However with 23 months of parenting Ella under my belt, I can honestly say that I would not change a thing about her if given the chance. There are definitely more challenges and more heartbreak having a child with special needs, but after this conversation with my mom I have really been thinking about what Ella has brought to me and this family. The number one thing is definitely that we all appreciate every thing so much more. With Ella everything took so much longer than it did with Hunter. Poor Hunter I think I just took everything with him for granted, he learned everything so quickly and most of the time by himself. Ella on the other hand you have to physically show her how to do the most basic of things, and it takes a lot longer for her to pick up on it. So, when she does it is quite the celebration! Since Ella I just feel so blessed. She is healthy and definitely happy and that is all that should matter. Ella has brought a lot of people in our family a lot closer, which is always a great thing! She has opened our minds and our hearts to a world that we were completely unaware of.

This journey hasn't all been great, but all I have to do is look at that smiling face and know that I am so blessed!!!



The kids with Nana and Grandpa!
Giving Nana a kiss!

18 comments:

WheresMyAngels said...

She is too cute! And that dress is also adorable.

It is common for most people to say "I'm sorry" when they hear that news. I respond like your mom did with "Why? I'm not" It is all about educating people.

Kristen said...

More cute cute pictures!! Very artistic angles too! They were so much fun to look at!

We sometimes get the same "I'm sorry" response with Cayman. It's not a tragedy, it's a story full of lots of miracles.

The liquid "gold" comes in a special formula for kids :o)!

http://www.evitalhealth.com/intraKID.html

Bethany said...

Amen sister ... I could have just typed that same blog entry! The pictures are adorable ... you have a beautiful family!

Chris said...

Beautiful post!

And of course, a beautiful girl.

The Bliss Family said...

What a cute dress and an adorable little girl wearing that dress! Because Natasha is half Asian, the features of DS are not always that obvious so we get a lot of stares. She looks different but people can't pinpoint it. It's so rude. It sucks having to deal with uneducated people and their comments or stares but I wouldn't change it for the world either.

Did you get the email I sent you last friday about our trip through Spokane in September?
Lisa

Jennie said...

She is just so yummy!

We haven't gotten the "I'm sorry" comment yet, but until this summer, we didn't get out much.

Michelle said...

Beautiful words - and an even more beautiful girl! Her hair is so long

Amy Flege said...

gosh she gets cuter everyday... if she can get any cuter, that is!!!!!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

She is SO beautiful and such true words!!! Her hair reminds me so much of Kennedy's pre-chemo!

Anonymous said...

Of course we already know how adorable and delicious she is! It is amazing how uninhibited people feel to just say what is obviously incorrect! I just cant get over that beautiful hair! We love you and miss you terribly--Love, Aunt Tami and family

Pam said...

Oh man, that face just melts my heart everytime I come here!!

She is SOOOO sweet.

We get the I'm sorry thing too. I tell them not to be sorry, he is the best thing that has ever happened to our family.

((HUGS!!))

kecia said...

i cried when I read this because it is my feelings exactly! SHe is so adorable-how can you not smile when you see her?! (I LOVE her dress by the way!)is she walking? It looks like it in one of the pictures.

kecia said...

ok I answered my own question as I saw the next post. That is awesome that she is walking!

Sabrina said...

Beautiful Pics. I love to take lots of pics too... We get the I'm sorry from older people sometimes. I guess it's a generational thing.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Your parents are so young and beautiful! No wonder Ella is as beautiful as she is! Beauty runs in your family!

I think people say "sorry" just because they don't know what to say. I hear it a lot to when people hear of Gabi. You just let them know what a treasure she is in your life and they will see her for the blessing she truly is!

Kim said...

She is so beautiful!

Kathy said...

She is SOOO pretty. Really adorable.

Anonymous said...

Learning things at her own pace gives you more time to enjoy the memories. What a beautiful little girl. Handsome little boy too.