Wednesday, October 1, 2008

31 for 21

Get It Down; 31 for 21

Today kicks off National Down Syndrome Awarness Month, as well as the Get It Down 31 for 21 challenge (the challenge is to blog everyday of October, 31 days, in honor of Ds Awarness month hence the 21 ya know as in Trisomy 21.) I attempted this last year but ran in to some difficulty when my computer crashed, so this year I will cross my fingers and really try.

Why do this?? You may ask... well, the short answer is that I hope that just one new person out there will stumble across my blog, and see that our life is not so different as the "typical" family. In fact I would say that our family is very much typical. We have our ups and downs, good days and bad days, stress and happiness but most of all we have a lot of love.


When I was told right after Ella's birth that the doctors thought she had Down syndrome my world collapsed. To say I was devistated would be an understatement. I had no hope for the future and I remember several times saying "I just want my old life back." I really had no idea what caused Down syndrome and what the prognosis for my new baby was, just that she was different, and different was bad, I did not want different.


The whole reason I started this blog (besides the fact that it is way easier to post pictures to share with my family) is to try to prevent a new parent or a family that just recieved a prenatal diagnosis from experiencing the same hopelessness that I did. We are as blessed to have Ella in our lives, as we are blessed to have Hunter. Every child brings their own set of joys and challenges and kids with Down syndrome are no different. There really are times that I forget that Ella has Down syndrome, at times she is so much like her brother it is unbelievable.


My life changed the second Ella was born, but quickly the fog that covered my life lifted and I began to see what an incredible gift I recieved. Ella has changed all of our lives for the better. She has opened my eyes and heart to so many things, she is truly amazing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Kacey with the 31 for 21! I check everyday for new pics so I am excited to get to see something everyday! We definitely are blessed to have Ella in OUR lives, too! She is one outstanding little girl! We love ya's--Aunt Tami and family

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Cute face - she is so adorable!

Jill said...

I for one is one of those people who stumbled upon your blog and have been so thankful for it. Watching Ella be a normal little fun loving adorable girl has helped my girls see what is in store for our life in a few months. We are excited to meet the little one who will join our family through adoption. Many days my girls just look with such love at Ella's pics, thanks for sharing your lives with us.

Kim said...

I absolutely agree with you! I'm trying the challenge too and it will be a challenge!

~KC: said...

Ella Grace is a blessing!!!. Great picture!!!. Thank you for this beautiful and lovely post Amy. :)

~KC: said...

KACEY!!!, Thank you for this beautiful and lovely post. :)

Mary said...

I love the kissy face. How can you not just fall totally in love with that face.