Saturday, October 2, 2010

Day 2 - First day of school pics!



First I would like to say a big THANK YOU to all my bloggy friends who commented on my last post, as well as those of you that commented on Face Book. I love how I can write something, such as my concerns/fears about glasses for Ella and feel so stupid for feeling those things, and within 24 hours feel so much better about it. It is always nice to know that you aren't the only one that has those thoughts......that you are not alone!!! After tallying up the votes and really listening to what you guys said, especially you RK, we are going with the 1st pair and they will be "shiny pink" in color!! Thank you guys so much!

So, like I said in my last post, I am way behind in blogging. The first day of school for the kids this year was Wednesday September 8th. That morning at 6am I left on an airplane headed to Atlanta to attend a DownsEd Conference (which was AMAZING and I will post about that later.) I do NOT leave my children. I have spent two nights away from Ella, one when I had surgery, Ella was about 7 months old, and my mom flew down to Texas to keep her and once this past December when the kids both spent the night at my moms. I just don't do it. Sure Hunter has sleepovers at Nana and Grandpa's house but that is about it. Anyhow, I convinced myself that it was okay to go out of town for 5 days and attend this conference. After I bought the ticket and everything was paid for I find out that the first day of school will be on the Wednesday after Labor Day instead of the Tuesday like it was last year. I was so upset that I was going to miss the first day of school. I totally cried.

Hunter started a new school this year. Last year he was at a Kindergarten Center, a school with only Kindergartners and this year he started the actual elementary school. Overall I didn't have too many worries with Hunter. He is a smart boy, very social and loves school. BUT, Hunter has some anxiety issues and is pretty sensitive so I didn't really know how he would take me not being here. Then there is Ella. Ella thrives on routine. Starting school obviously is a change and this year we opted for morning preschool rather than afternoon and as I mentioned I do not spend nights away from Ella. I was afraid that she wouldn't understand that I am just gone for a few days but that I am coming back. School itself I was so NOT worried about, Ella has the same teachers this year and they are FABULOUS, seriously I love them!!! Anyhow, as usual my kids proved me wrong and really I don't think they missed me one bit and daddy did a wonderful job taking over my duties!!! I made Chris and my mom swear to take lots of pictures of the kids before they headed off for the 1st day and they did a great job!! Here are the pics that were waiting for me when I got back!!!



Apparently Ella thought it was funny face time

My beautiful 1st grade boy!

Here he is with the note I left him, wearing it on his shirt. He is sentimental like that : )


Here is Hunter the 1st day of Kindergarten last year. Man he has grown up so much!

And my little beauty. "Hmmmm..." wonder what she is thinking?

Love her.

At school



Here she is the 1st day of last year. Believe it or not she has grown, more than just her hair : )

The babes this year

and last year....

Same backpack this year, still big
but maybe not quite as big as last year?

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Adorable back to school pics! Ella is looking so grown up and I'm sure she will look like a rock star in her new glasses.=)

Debbie said...

Wow, Kacey. I'm impressed that she would leave them on long enough for a picture!!

When JEB was 18 months old, he had to have cataracht surgery....in both eyes. It was a little scary, but it was the best thing to do. He couldn't see, poor thing! No wonder he always held everything up to his face to see!! Anyway, had that done, our dr's were GREAT and he told us then that he would need glasses at some point.

Fastforward a few years to now....finally!! after several years and moves and trying to find a pediatric opthamologist....we found a great one, about 30 mi. from where we are now. He was wonderful with JEB. He was recommended because the other dr's in his practice have a daughter with Down syndrome. He was patient with JEB, who was NOT cooperative at all. He fussed and squirmed and barely let the dr. put the instruments close to his face....but the dr. persisted and got the exam done. Wrote the script for the glasses.....yeah, that isn't going to happen....BUT we went to Walmart when Daddy went for his glasses and I just did it. I picked a pair and tried on a few, NOT to his liking, of course. The hardest part was when they were trying to measure for the glasses, but we accomplished it. Now comes the hard part....getting him to actually wear them. We wear them, several times a day for a few minutes at a time. I set the timer on the microwave and then increase the time as we go. He's up to about 30 min. a time, but he does NOT like them and won't do anything at all when he has them on. Literally, he sits in his chair or mine and waits till the bell rings and off they come. Guess we'll have to work on that one.

She'll do great, I'm sure. Just try it and see. I wish we'd have done it earlier but at least we finally got it done!!

Good luck!!

Mary said...

Super cute pics! We were reading a book today and there was a little girl in it and Riley kept pointing to her and calling her Ella. It was a crack up.

RK said...

Glad you're feeling better about the glasses... isn't the blogging gang awesome?!? She's gonna do great, though adjustment period is to be expected, of course. :o) But maybe she'll surprise you and just love them from day one!

Great 1st day of school pics... Hunter is really growing up too!

Cammie Heflin said...

Is Ella's hair naturally wavy? It is so long! We cut Addy's last spring and I've missed it really long so we are growing it again! The glasses will be great!

Cheryl said...

Ella looks so cute with that big backpack on her back :)
I have a hard time leaving my kids to.Glad everything worked out good.
So neat that you got to go to the Downsed conference.I wanted to go so bad when they had it in Austin this year but just wasn't able to go.